Son Heung-min says Tottenham knew there could be no repeat of an “unacceptable” St James’ Park humiliation as they fought back to draw 2-2 with Manchester United.
Spurs’ hopes of securing a top-four Premier League finish were rocked by a 6-1 hammering at Newcastle United on Sunday.
Interim boss Cristian Stellini was relieved of his duties after that drubbing on Tyneside, with Ryan Mason taking the hotseat until the end of the season.
Tottenham looked to be in danger of suffering another mauling when they trailed the Red Devils 2-0 following goals from Jadon Sancho and Marcus Rashford.
But they rallied in the second half to salvage a point at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Thursday, Pedro Porro halving the deficit and Son equalising after being set up by Harry Kane.
Son said: “We wanted to give everything and that was the dressing room speech.
“We couldn’t let the game go. We were really angry about it, we didn’t deserve to be 2-0 down at half-time.
“The last week was unacceptable and we didn’t want to repeat that. We feel really, really sorry for the performance and result and we wanted to bring a good energy.
“We really appreciated [the fans’] support and they were fighting with us.”
#Spurs #desperate #avoid #hammering #Son